It's been a while since I've updated this. I've been too busy attending weddings, teaching Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and getting ready for another trip to Brazil. While the bloging has been slack, I have managed to make time however for some meaningful progress on the system itself.
One of the trickiest parts of this operation so far has been the construction of the grow beds. After much research I ended up making them out of plywood and lining them with Fireston Pond Gard EPDM rubber.
|Frame made of plywood|
|Lined with EPDM rubber|
|Very happy with how it all fits together|
|It took several attempts to get the bulkhead to seal|
|Media screen to keep the gravel out|
|Complete with gravel. Second pipe is to gauge the water level.|
|System complete and cycling|
Now that the system is complete I have left the pump to cycle water from the fish tank (no fish yet) up to the grow beds and the back to the fish tank via the siphons. This will further rinse the gravel and give me a chance test the reliability of the setup. The next step will be to build a swirl filter to remove any uneaten fish food and other waste on it's way from the tank to the grow beds.